How do I reset the MIH-108 Palm Router Elite with my Mac if I have either lost the password or simply cannot reach it with my web browser (or telnet client)?
Reference ID: MIH00B0007
Modified on: 2000/11/22
Product Area: Internet Sharing Device
Model: MIH-108 PalmRouter Elite
While the MIH-108 Palm Router Elite does not have an external reset switch, it does have a "console mode" which allows you access to the unit without needing either a password or working TCP/IP. Console mode is not a security risk because it involves a direct connection between a Mac (or a PC) and the router itself, and requires that the computer involved be in close proximity to the unit. Once you are in console mode, you can perform some basic operations on the router itself, including a full reset to factory defaults.
While Windows includes a terminal program with the OS, the Macintosh does not. You will need to obtain a terminal program from an outside source (such as DataComet, which has a demo version available for download from
Please note that the following instructions apply to the demo version of DataComet 4.6.3. You can actually use any terminal program capable of establishing a direct serial connection.
Accessing console mode from a Mac
- Obtain a standard printer (serial) cable from your local computer store. This cable will need to have a male connector on each end.
- Connect one end of this serial cable to your computer's printer or modem port, and connect the other end to SERIAL 2 on the Palm Router Elite using the 8-pin to 9-pin serial adapter that came with your router.
- Flip the CONFIG switch on the back of the router to the down, or ON, position. The CONFIG switch is the blue and white DIP switch located between the serial ports and the power connection; it tells the router that you intend to use SERIAL 2 for an incoming console mode session.
- Launch your copy of DataComet, click on File in the top menu bar, and select New.
- A window will open asking you for information on what kind of connection you wish to establish, as well as asking you for host addresses and other terminal information. Leave all of the default settings intact except for the Window Type selection. Set this to Serial and use the pull-down menu to select either your computer's modem port or printer port, whichever has the cable installed. Once you've done this you may click the OK button.
- After clicking the OK button, a blank terminal window will open on your screen. At this point you will want to cycle the power on the router (just unplug power to it and then plug it back in again). A message will appear in the window asking you to press ENTER to continue. Once you do this, you will be presented with a text-based menu listing various administrative functions on the router.
Once you have logged into the console menu, you have various options to choose from, including option #6: Device Admin. This entry will allow you to reset the device, restore the device to factory defaults, or simply to enter a new administrator password.
@Copyright 1998-2000 Macsense Connectivity, Inc. All rights reserved