How do I reset the MIH-108 Palm Router Elite with my PC if I have either lost the password or simply cannot reach it with my web browser (or telnet client)?
Reference ID: MIH00B0008
Modified on: 2000/11/22
Product Area: Internet Sharing Device
Model: MIH-108 PalmRouter Elite
While the MIH-108 Palm Router Elite does not have an external reset switch, it does have a "console mode" which allows you access to the unit without needing either a password or working TCP/IP. Console mode is not a security risk because it involves a direct connection between a PC (or a Mac) and the router itself, and requires that the computer involved be in close proximity to the unit. Once you are in console mode, you can perform some basic operations on the router itself, including a full reset to factory defaults.
Accessing console mode from a PC
- Obtain a "null-modem cable" from your local computer store.
- Connect one end of this null-modem cable to one of your computer's COM ports and connect the other end to SERIAL 2 on the Palm Router Elite.
- Flip the CONFIG switch on the back of the router to the down, or ON, position. The CONFIG switch is the blue and white DIP switch located between the serial ports and the power connection; it tells the router that you intend to use SERIAL 2 for an incoming console mode session.
- Launch a terminal program on your PC to contact the MIH-108. Users of Windows 98 can use HyperTerminal by clicking on
Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications >
HyperTerminal, and then double-clicking the "Hypertrm.exe" icon.
- When HyperTerminal launches, it will present you with a window asking you for a name for the connection; enter a name and click the OK button.
- The next window you are presented with asks you what telephone number you wish to dial. Instead of entering a telephone number, click on the "Connect using:" field and select the option for "Direct to Com1" (or Com2, if you are using COM port 2), then click the OK button.
- In the next window, change the "Bits per second:" entry from 2400 to 9600 and click the OK button.
- Cycle the power on the router. When the message appears on the screen asking you to press Enter to continue, do so.
Once you have logged into the console menu, you have various options to choose from, including option #6: Device Admin. This entry will allow you to reset the device, restore the device to factory defaults, or simply to enter a new administrator password.
@Copyright 1998-2000 Macsense Connectivity, Inc. All rights reserved